I would love to visit your school, teacher's conference, panel, bookstore, kitchen table, and etc! During a typical school visit around The 50 States and 50 Cities, students and I enjoy lively conversations about the different types of maps, how to make editorial choices about what to include in a map, and create a map of an invented state, complete with state foods, animals, and mottos.
During a typical school visit with Book of Bones, students and I discuss animal features, decision making in writing, and create a skeleton of an invented animal, complete with labels describing the animals habitat, diet, and special abilities.
Please contact me to come up with a plan! See tips for hosting an author below.
FRI 4 NOV Book of Bones
Far Hills Country Day School
Far Hills, NJ
SAT 11 NOV Book of Bones + 50 Cities
Brooklyn Museum Children’s Book Fair,
SAT 7 OCT, 11:30 am Book of Bones @ Greenlight, Fort Green
1:30 pm Book of Bones @ Greenlight, Prospect Lefferts Gardens
SAT 9 SEPT, 11am 50 Cities @ Books are Magic
SAT 30 SEPT, 10am Book of Bones @ McNally Jackson
New York, NY
FRI 2 JUN Book Expo America, New York, NY
#1: 50 Cities Book Preview
(and 50 States Fun Facts Give-Away) at
Book Sellers Speed Dating Lunch
> Fri 06/02/17 12:30-1:45 pm
> Room: 1E07/1E08
> tickets + pre-registration required:
#2: 50 States Activity Book Give-Away
> Fri 06/02/17 3-4 pm
> Quarto Booth #2207
THR 25 MAY Ocher Map Library, Portland, ME
Osher Map Library and Smith Center for Cartographic Education's Map Making Contest Award's Ceremony
>> learn more about the contest here
THUR 4 NOV The School at Columbia, New York, NY
SAT 17 SEPT, 1-2 PM Brooklyn Book Festival: Children's Day
NYC is the Place To Be!
Do you think New York City has more subway tracks or subway rats? Find out with Gabrielle Balkan, author of the 50 States series, as she hosts NYC-themed games while giving kids inside info about the food, geography, history, and secrets of the city they love.
>> find workshop details here
MON 20 JUN P.S. 107, Brooklyn, NY
FRI 1 APRIL Community Roots Charter School,
WED 20 APRIL TxLA, Houston, TX
12 - 1 p.m Signing in booth #1940
3 - 4 p.m. Signing in author area, aisle 7
FRI 4 MAR, 2 p.m. P.S.84 Center For Inquiry, Indianapolis, IN
SAT 5 MAR, 10 a.m. ISTA Good Teaching Conference, Indpls, IN
SUN 6 MAR, 12-ish Barnes and Noble, Indianapolis, IN
THUR 25 FEB Girls' Prep Lower East Side, New York, NY
In honor or World Read Aloud Day
SAT 30 JAN, 11 A.M. Greenlight Bookstore, Brooklyn, NY
VIDEO LAUNCH, World. :)
WED 16 DEC CBC Adopt-a-School, Queens, NY
THUR 22 OCT Open Book Foundation School Visit, Washington, D.C.
THUR 22 OCT Politics & Prose Bookstore, Washington, D.C.
WED 21 OCT Takoma Park Maryland Library, Takoma Park, MD
SAT 3 OCT McNally Jackson Bookstore, New York, NY
FRI 29 MAY BEA: Telling the Truth for Every Age, New York, NY
HOW TO HOST AN AUTHOR VISIT
- Personalize this poster - coming soon!
- Get Started: Planning, Fundraising, and Tips for Success - Scholastic
- How to Host An Author, From an Author - The Outreach Librarian and Cynthia Leitich Smith
- Authors Share Their Best School Visits - Publisher's Weekly
- How to Make an Author Visit Affordable - Kristin Tubb
- How to Make an Author Visit Effective - Kristin Tubb
- 25 Tips for Hosting an Awesome Author Visit! - Sarah McIntyre
- How to Fund an Author Visit - Steve Layne
ORDERING BOOKS FOR AN AUTHOR VISIT
- Start the process about six weeks before your event.
- Download and personalize this order form.
- via your local bookseller. Indiebound can help! Some stores, like Barnes and Noble, offer bulk discounts (when 50 copies of the same title are ordered) and/or educator discounts.
Your local bookstore will need the following:
Delivery & Location Address
ISBN(s) for the book(s)
Quantity you need per ISBN
- via Quarto (1 800 458 0454): sometimes the publisher has deals on their website. Check for discount codes, which may give you 25% off.